Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Shopaholic

OK, I admit, I'm a shopaholic! A food shopaholic! I love buying food, fresh food, good food. But the point of fresh food is the freshness! If I can't use it that day or within a couple of days, what's the point? I'm lucky, at this point in my life, I have the time, and I make it a priority, to shop nearly everyday, but I buy too much. Since I hate "wasting" food, I find it nearly impossible to throw anything away, I try and eat all of it! And although I eat tons, and I do mean tons, of veggies it's just too much food. I've gotten in the habit of eating too much food. (More about that another time)

In addition to shopping too much and buying too much, I've got that CSA box once a week. The CSA box has things I wouldn't normally buy, and I want to take advantage of, not only trying new things, but getting a different kind of nutrition from the variety it provides.

So, I've decided instead of going shopping for more stuff, which I don't really need, I'm going to have to work with what I've got first. I'm cleaning out the fridge by using what I have before shopping for more...and it's killing me, lol! I'm out of green cabbage, carrots and celery, but I've got so much more to work with, and so much more to eat, before I'll allow myself to buy more. And I've got another CSA box to pick up tonight!

I'm totally into wilted salads these days, thanks to Fawn, dressed with simple oil and lemon, and you can make one with practically anything you have in the fridge. Here's what I had, (Left to right).

agretti, CSA

varigated raddichio, SB farmers market

purple scallions, SB farmers market

green garlic, Whole Foods

I threw these in a screamin' hot pan for 5 minutes with 1tbl oil and a little salt, and then poured the hot veggies on 1/2 head of escarole (CSA), adding diced chicken breast (freezer), smokey bleu cheese and a good squeeze of lemon.

Today I'll have the basically the same combination, although I used up the raddichio, bleu cheese and chicken, instead I've got some pulled pork, finely shredded red cabbage, apple and instead of lemon I think I'll make a dressing with apple cider vinegar.

Last night after dinner I put a some pork in the pressure cooker and made soup with kale and baby carrots (CSA & SB FM). Today I'll be making some leek and pea soup for the freezer, since I just can't eat everything!

11 comments:

Amy Jurrens said...

Great idea to make soup with your extras. Then when you can't get somewhere to shop, you can grab and go.

I love food shopping, too, but I don't have the multitude of choices you have. My problem is I get bored with the same veggies - carrots, celery, brocolli, and cawliflower. That's what I eat every week for lunch (unless I have naked Chinese). Soon the Farmer's Markets in Iowa will have produce, but until then, I'll be stuck in my rut. Any suggestions? I've made some of your dips to give a different flavor to my weeks. I eat different veggies at night - brussel sprouts, snap peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc.

I'm also toying with the idea of having my own garden. I just haven't had time to really think it through and commit. Perhaps over the weekend.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Amy,

I've never lived anywhere else, or visited, during winter months, other parts of the country where selection is limited.

So correct me if I'm wrong but can't you get things like....

red bell & jalapeno peppers
cabbages...lots of greens...kale, chard, collards
celery root, turnips, rutabaga, etc
spinach, arugla, raddichio
onions, all kinds, and shallots
radishes
lemons, limes, oranges
zucchini, yellow squash
winter squashes, hubbard, butternut, spaghetti, etc
beets! with greens!

.....just to name a few, LOL!

I know some of these things aren't in season, but neither are green beans or snap peas!

These days produce comes from all over the country and although not ideal, as far as trying to eat seasonally and locally, these things are still available.

Even if all you had was carrot, celery, cabbage, and broccoli, there's a ton of dressings or pantry items that could change the veggies into many other dishes. I could go on, and on, and on!

And, by the way, I haven't had a tomato since the end of summer and I haven't suffered a bit! (or yellow squash, zucchini, corn, asparagus, etc.)

Amy Jurrens said...

See, now this is what I need. Someone to give me new ideas. I do have cabbage available and I do buy a lot of squash and zucchini in the fall when they are plentiful. Now they are not so good. The only spinach or other greens are pretty much the ones in a bag and I refuse to eat those. Corn is technically a grain, so I avoid it. I forgot about the frozen aspargus I grill. I froze a bunch of green beans last fall.

I need to step out of my rut and try some new things. I'm not a fan of peppers or radishes, but I am open to trying them again. In the past they didn't agree with me. Okay, now I sound like I'm complaining. Totally not my intention.

I'm going to open my eyes and my mind to the produce and give it a go. If I don't like something, so be it. I've wasted money on much more frivolous things, that's for sure!!

I'll search through your past posts for some recipes. If you have any that come to mind, please feel free to email them to me.

Thanks a bunch, Tracy!!

Jen said...

Tracy,

You've created a monster :) "I'm Jen and I'm a shopaholic"... I got another pork roast today to make in the pressure cooker... Greg is lov'in the other white meat! I'm having a blast!

Thanks! You've put a cooking spell on me.

Jen said...

Amy,

Tracy's basic soup recipe is a great one to use for a base for many things. She made one while she was here and I've used it to make warm salads (adding protein) and I used it to help defrost some pork from the freezer for soft tacos (it's a way to get some extra veggies into my husband's diet too!)

Good luck with your Veggie Quest! I know you can find lots of good stuff in your area... and I'm putting in a garden this year.. it's very rewarding and yummy!

fawn said...

Your wilted salad looks super yummy!!! Plus I have had your pork roast... yum...

Lauren Brooks said...

I'm guilty of going to the grocery store almost daily as well! I actually enjoy being there at times. 8-)

To be honest with you I think it's a control thing for me. These days it's very important to be in control of what I put in my mouth. So if I have fresh food in my house at all times then I wont stray and end up eating foods that I shouldn't have. I feel it keeps me on track as long as I'm in the store when I'm not PMSing.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Amy,

If you don't have the drive to expand your food experiance, then you don't have the drive! I can't explain it!

This is what I often tell people when they comment on how lucky I am to be able to cook and prepare food as much as I do..."Cooking is my 'hobby'!"

We all have hobbies and interests...this is mine! I love everything about it....I feel a blog post coming on, lol!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jen,

All of my friends are 'hooked' on the pork shoulder done in the pressure cooker! Fawn is the one that deserves the credit...that woman rocks!

I can't wait to watch and learn from her 'in action' again in June!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Fawn,

You're silly! It's YOUR pork roast! And YOUR wilted salads!

You're a genius and I'll give credit where credit is due!

I still haven't made mayo, or aoli yet...soon!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Lauren,

It's been a fun challenge NOT going to the store! Try it!