Monday, June 16, 2008

Hit....Romaine, Celery and Chicken Salad with Egg and Mustard Dressing

Since releasing my resistence to romaine lettuce I've been using it alot, actually buying it! Here is a dressing I found using hard boiled eggs in the dressing. In the past I have used diced egg whites for additional protein in salads, not knowing what to do with the high calorie yolks (You know I hate, I mean, dislike, throwing anything out, lol), so I was thrilled to find this recipe using the yolks and only a few other ingredients to make a dressing.

Egg and Mustard Dressing


2 hard boiled egg yolks
2 tbl. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. mustard (any kind)

This is how I do it for a single serving....





Mash the egg yolks at the bottom of a large salad bowl, add vinegar to "dissolve", add sugar and mustard. Taste to adjust seasoning (S & P). Add salad ingredients on top and toss.





This makes enough for one salad, one large, "Tracy size", salad, lol, double it for 2.




The original recipe called for 4 egg yolks, 4 tbl. apple cider vinegar, 2 tbl. sugar, 2 t. mustard. I don't think it needs that much sugar, but do what you like. Also, the original recipe called for browning some bacon and tossing spinach leaves with some of the fat before dressing it and adding some crumbled bacon. Sounds good, but I didn't want the extra fat and calories, but definitely an option for another time!



BTW I was making a fresh batch of chicken stock in my pressure cooker that day and I decided to use the hot stock to cook my eggs in! So I cleaned the eggs, and dropped them into the hot, hot, hot, stock (the pressure had just come down enough to take the lid off of the pressure cooker), set my timer for 14 min. and then fished them out...another "hit", perfectly done eggs, and no extra pot to clean!

1 comment:

Himitsu Joe said...

Tracy,

We all need the chicken-stock pressure cooker recipe. Just started playing with my pressure cooker. Would love some advice. Do you pre-roast the chicken and use a carcass? Or just the bones?

help?