Monday, June 16, 2008

Miss.....and then a Hit

Wednesday night I pick up my CSA box, I am never in the mood to wash and prep veggies in the evening, I'm tired already, lol, but this particular evening as I washed the chard and collards, (and carrots), I decided to go ahead and blanch the greens (in salted water), and use them in salads instead of soup or pasta. I must of been tired because I overcooked both of them. The chard was "passable", but the collards, (I had two bunches because my friend Jill gave me hers), were almost....not quite, but almost....mushy! It surprised me because I kept checking for doneness and they were still bright green. I rinsed them in cold water, but it didn't save the firmness....I threw them in the fridge to deal with another day.

The next day, on my walk, I had come to the conclusion that I was just going to have to come to terms with the idea of throwing out food. I hate waste. (did I say hate? I mean I dislike, lol) The collards were going to have to be thrown in the garbage...what a waste.....two whole bunches! But why eat food you don't like? That's a waste! And then, I don't know where this idea came from, probably my resistence to throwing away 2 whole bunches of greens, oh yes, I remember....

Mark has been buying these little frozen quiches from Trader Joes (yuck! But he seems to like them), he doesn't like the crust, he just eats the insides, so, I thought, why don't I use those collards in a quiche? It just might work, especially since I don't have to make pastry for the crust, I'll just make a "crust-less quiche", how freakin easy is that?! Quiche used to my "go to" dish for potlucks and get togethers. Quiche can use up so many things in your fridge, I don't know why I never thought of it before....oh yes....it's high, very high, in calories! But, it's not for me, it's for Mark....Mister "cheese, heavy cream, butter, eggs, high calorie, I can eat whatever I want to, and not gain weight" Mark.

Quiche is basically a green veggie, like spinach or broccoli, and eggs, cream, and cheese. Any variety of a veggie saute can be made into a quiche, especially a "crust-less" quiche by adding these ingreients and pouring into a pie dish, baking at 350 until done (about 25-35 min). I will post the more details on"Crazy for Quiche" another time. But for now, here's a picture and the list of ingredients I had on hand, using up the overcooked collards for the quiche I made for Mark.

filling (saute in this order)
butter
mushrooms
green onions (I had a ton, some from Jill)
collard greens ( chopped and blached)
parsley
garlic
add
feta cheese (I only had a handful, about 2-3oz)
parmesan (1/4 c.)
heavy cream (about 1/2 c.)
2 eggs
sliced swiss cheese (for the top)




I do like to use herbs in quiche, fresh if I have them, but I didn't so I used a little dried thyme and dried basil.

No comments: