Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jonesin'

Last night, coming home from yoga I was telling Mark how I was jonesin' for a Snicker's.....still! He knows that for about a week, I've been thinking about Snicker's. Halloween was the big "trigger" for that, and then to top it off 1/2 price candy after the holiday (another trigger) is really driving me nuts. Mark and I went yoga Friday night to avoid all of the trick or treat hoopla. I haven't given out candy for 3 years now, and I used to give out full size candy bars...the neighborhood kids loved me, lol!

I know I can go and get a Snicker's candy bar anywhere, anytime, but for some reason the fun size snicker's is what I can't stop thinking about. I don't know about you, but that size will fit in my perfectly in my mouth and I can just feel the crunch of the big chunks of peanuts between my back molars, and the rush of pure sugar enter my bloodstream.....is that weird? I don't think so, it's just honest.

This is what keeps me from eating them.

I am less and less interested in eating blatent crap. I try to pick and choose how I "spend" my calories, and I feel like I'm wasting that choice on something so unhealthy. Many times I would rather eat a healthier version of sweets, at least a higher quality of sugar.

I know, at this point, I'm not interested in eating "just one". Notice how I said "not interested", instead of "I can't". I can do anything I want, and when I want to eat a Snicker's what I really mean is I want to eat the whole freakin' bag of fun size Snicker's until I'm physically unable to eat any more! And then what? I'll feel like shit. Not worth it. At least it's not worth it until it is.

Just some thoughts.

5 comments:

leslie said...

I get it.
Wish I had some insight.
The connection between sugar and depression (for me) is very clear, and yet I am quite unwilling to stop delving into my kids Halloween candy. I feel stuck.
Stay strong...

Tracy Reifkind said...

Leslie,

Hmmnn... when I first read the last words you wrote, "stay strong" I wondered what exactly that meant to me.

When you start putting stuff into perspective, staying strong from the temptation of a candy bar.....good Lord am I taking this stuff too seriously?

I know what you meant, BTW, it's not a "candy bar", it's bigger than that, but do we make things bigger than they need to be?

leslie said...

More food for thought for me, Tracy! The candy bar (in my case, the Halloween candy) is but a symptom of the bigger issue.

My success is that I was candy free yesterday. And coincidentally, my mood was a million percent better.

Final comment -- I used the PC last night and dinner was fabulous!!!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Leslie,

Don't leave my hanging....what did you make in the PC?

leslie said...

Minestrone two nights ago. Butternut squash risotto yesterday. Both FABULOUS!!! I'm going to be directing people to your blog as my posts about pressure cooking have sparked interest, and your blog is what inspired me to try PCing!