Tuesday, May 18, 2010

16kg Downhill Snatch Ladder

Tuesday morning I swing with my 6am class for about 45 minutes @ Girya (today we also added in snatches and goblet/front squats), and then I head off to Equinox to train my 2nd Max Vo2 "based" workout of the week.

I haven't been snatching the 16kg regularly for quite a while, but I was inspired on Saturday to test this snatch ladder combination w/16kg after doing it with the 12kg. Meg and I usually do some sort of a Max "based" workout for a solid 30 minutes (60 sets of 15/15), and then I have us train at least one long set of snatches or a swing/snatch combination for at least 5 minutes straight. Well, I decided to do a snatch ladder, start at 1/1, 2/2, 3/3...etc...until the end of a 5 minute minimum timed set, because I had no idea how high on the rep ladder we could get. It ended up, almost perfectly, with about 10 seconds to spare, snatching at an extremely moderate pace, all the way up to 10/10! I love it when I discover "even numbered rep combinations", lol.

If you added up rep ladders as much as I have, then you know 1-10 = 55, so if you do 1-10 on both sides that must = 110! Let's see, 110 snatches in 5 minutes transferring 19 times ain't bad. Mark commented that it may be a good strategy for the 5 minute snatch test, so I thought I'd give it a go with the 16kg....(guess what we're doing on Sat, Meg? lol)

But apparently the bell slows way down the heavier it gets, lol! I was able to complete it in 5 1/2 minutes. Drats! As Mark says...."It's all easy 'til it's heavy"

I got to the first part of set 3/3, by the 5 minute mark, but needed 30 seconds to finish the 2nd #3 reps, then 2/2, 1/1 for a total of 9 snatch reps after the 5 minute mark. That means I completed 101 snatches in the five minutes using this ladder....fyi...so I still would pass the RKC snatch Requirement, but who wants to pass it, barely? I've got more work to do with the 16kg.....

************************************************

FYI My Sweetie just bought me 4 each of the new 14kg and 10kg Dragondoor Military Grade kettlebells.....am I lucky girl or what? Although the incremental weight difference may seem small, for us women, and most of my class students are women, this is going to add a whole new level of fun! (not to mention making the RKC a more challenging weekend for us women....I'll write more about my opinion on that another time) Just click on the new Kb size you want to order and it'll take you right to the site....woo, freakin' hoo!

14 comments:

Meg Lloyd said...

Yippee. I can hardly wait to do the snatch ladder with the 16kg! (just be careful not to step in the sarcasm that's dripping out of that comment and puddling on the floor)

Are you going to share your 14kg bells at Girya or do I need to buy one of my own?

Haley said...

The snatch ladder is a great idea!! I'm going to add it to my workout to work on the RKC snatch test. Thanks for sharing!!

Mark Reifkind said...

Meg

the 14 kgs WILL be at Girya, but you should buy one of your own for home as well, imo.

I want to get my own 16 kg with the new finish for my own max vo2 as well,lol.

Meg Lloyd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meg Lloyd said...

Mark - I'll trade you the 16kg I bought at the San Jose cert (new finish, still has the tag on it) for a 14kg. Then if I want to get another 16kg (I've got two now), I'll get one with a girly handle...

Let me know if you are interested.

Mark Reifkind said...

sorry Meg, I only want bells with the new finish :))

I have plenty with the old paint.plus we don't need any more 16's and I probably will have to buy even MORE 14's,lol

Diana said...

This went better than I had thought it would! This was hard. I have an idea of something with this I might try. Just a little "tweak" to help with my asthmatic breathing!

kettlebells_n_sunshine said...

Dang I love your blog!!
I see that they have released the 10kg and 14kg bells for sale... I own a 14kg (hangs head in shame as it is from another company) already and found it INVALUABLE for transitioning not only myself but my clients from the 12kg to the 16kg.. cant wait to have my own dragon door 14kg..

thanks for the snatch ladder idea... I have been training for the RKC in Orlando in October and have just hit the 100 mark in 5 minutes with the 16kg... Want to hit 110 next...
Keep inspiring!!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Meg....I knda "crashed and burned" in this mornings workout....the 16kg snatch ladder may have to wait another week.....NOT, lol!

And seeing how I haven't found a way to swing 4 bells at a time (yet), I'll have to share....so swinging dbl 14's we're both covered!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Haley,

I'm glad there's at least one other person out there that benefits from my obsessive training....but also someone that actually reads what I write, lol

Speaking of my writing....I started work on the guest blogpost, and it turned into a chapter in my book! But I think I'm going to collaborate with Mark on a blogpost about women concerns about "bulking up", and how kettlebell swing training is the perfect answer to what all women want (and most men!)....I haven't forgotten

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

I'm glad you tested this snatch ladder as it looks to have given you some training ideas of your own, and a way to make your upcoming snatch test a "no brainer", not to mention "no sweat off your brow", lol!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jennifer,

John Ducane sent me one of the first 16kg's with the new smaller handle in January, and then when I saw him at the Feb RKC I told him the only thing better would be a 14kg!

Good Lord how strong are we going to get? Although I have the highest respect for the 12kg....I always find a way for it to kick my ass on a regular basis!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Haley said...

Tracy,
That's an awesome idea!! Thanks! I think that will be a great read for everyone.

I'll be in line for both your DVD and your book. ;) I really enjoy reading your blog. You always have interesting workouts that keep the workouts from feeling like the same routine over and over again. I'm really bad at just a straight timed workout, so the rep goals feel like little victories during the workout. It's great.

Thanks!