Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday workout @ Equinox...and beyond!

I met with a private from 6:00am to 6:30am, then off to Equinox for a 7:00am start time.

7:00am first class (Kettlebell Calorie Burn)
12kg
40 2 hand swings, 1 min work/ rest x 5 sets = 10 minutes, 200 swings
40 swings, in progressive combinations, 1 min. work/30 sec. rest x 10 = 15 minutes, 400 swings
600 swings in 25 minutes

7:30am second class (Kettlebell Conditioning)

After about 10 minutes of swing combinations including snatches and clean/presses, the real work starts....

Double Kettlebells 12kg (Brian used two 16kg's)

All laddering sets worked at equal work/rest ratio using "I go, you go" timing.

dbl clean strict press uphill and down hill ladder
1/2/3/4/5/5/4/3/2/1 (total of 30 reps)
dbl clean jerks
1/2/3/4/5/5/4/3/2/1 (again total of 30 reps)
dbl snatch/negative press
1/2/3/4/5/5/4/3/2/1
dbl snatches
1/2/3/4/5/5/4/3/2/1
dbl clean squat
1/2/3/4/5/5/4/3/2/1


The hardest part of this workout was the very first rep of dbl snatches...it would of been great to do a dbl swing first, to build momentum....but, I toughed it out and took the first rep straight off the floor.....if double snatches with two 12kg's are easy for you, then you "go"!

The workout continues..... I knew I wanted to slow things down before finishing, afterall the real work had been done, so now it was a little bit of fun combining all of the previous skills, but one kettlebell at a time!



I started by combining all 5 skills on my right side once, and then transferring to my left, it wasn't enough work, so I then performed each of the 5 skills twice on my right side before transferring to my left, twice, for a total of all 5 skills done 3 times in about 2 minutes....1 minute rest.

I finished the workout with two, 2 minute sets that used all 5 skills, done 3 reps at a time before transferring to the other side.

3 clean/press R
3 clean jerk R
3 snatch neg press R
3 snatch R
3 clean sq R
transfer L
3 clean press L,
3 clean jerk L,
3 snatch neg press L,
3 snatch L,
3 clean sq L

2 minutes work 1 minute rest x 2

done....except for about 15 minutes of swing /goblet squats and my 3rd class (Kettlebell 101) at 8:30-9:00am.

I teach the KB Swing 101 HKC style. Deadlifts, hovers, hike pass, swing (8:30am-9:00am)..... My one and only student, at this time, in this class has had about 6 previous classes with me so we get to the swings fairly quickly. I let her do most of the work, but again I probably did an additional few hundred swings. Ironically, my one and only KB 101 student is my Spinning teacher, Janet! (she told me today that my kb class is the workout she most looks forward to the whole week!)

Spinning for 45 minutes....I hate Spin, truly I do! And today was no exception. After I did a little Gravitron/hang/lat pulldown work, it was off to sit on that damn bike..... As I look at the timer on my bike.....barely 10 minutes....I wonder how I can possibly stay on that bike for 40-45 minutes (50 minutes is my max, as the Spin bike has no "cruise" option, it's pedal, pedal, pedal...). The hardest part of class was that today the music kinda sucked....you gotta have the music! Spinning is like dancing in a bike....why else would you do it? (I lasted 45 + minutes today...at a certain point you have to ask yourself, "Is one more minute going to make a difference? Why are you so obessesed with every second? I mean really.....is it about burning calories? Or training? A little of both.....we're getting there!)

Shower, and off to Girya for another private at 11:30am, and then....more training! By this time I barely have anything left, but as long as I'm working toward my goal of level 2 RKC, then I have to keep going. I warmed up with windmills, on to the bent press, Get-Ups, and a little pistol work before heading off to my last private lesson of the day, scheduled at 1:30pm.

Life is so freakin' great! 6:00am to 2:00pm, nothing but training....... Oh, but tomorrow my little Sophie! I can't wait, and the fact that my ass will probably be in a 5:30am yoga class to make it happen shows my commitment to my granddaughter and my training!

Lucky me.



*Video details. This video was taken after my workout, by Janet (my Spin teacher). It demonstrates each of the 5 progressive skills I used in my earlier workout. This video shows each of the 5 skills performed one time each side (R, L), but as I wrote, in detail, in this blogpost, the last two sets were done performing all 5 skills 3 x for about 1 minute before transferring to the opposite side, performing all three skills 3 times on the other side, for a total of a 2 minute set, with one minute rest......(we may have done this set 3 times, but I can't remember, lol!)

No comments: