Monday, August 16, 2010

Snatch Vo2 based pacing workout

One of these days I'll explain in more detail how I came to "base" alot of my workouts on Max Vo2, but what's important is not the explaination but the workout!


I've been playing around with my method of "pacing" for a couple of years. Pacing swings, and snatches, but any kettlebell movement can be used and the benefits of pacing can change how you keep interest alive in your workouts (as it does mine and therefore my students workouts!). This method, or technique, is further explained in my upcoming DVD to be available within the next 2 weeks (fingers crossed).




Saturday's Max-based workout was inspired by a previous pacing routine I did years ago (*see note) way back when I started playing around with this method....good God I used to be strong.... Anyway, here is a picture of our white board at Girya, where I mapped out a plan....not really ever knowing what is possible until I get into it.....








OK, the original plan is to the left. All work reps are based on a 15 second intervals. The rest periods are some denomination of 15 seconds (15, 30, 60 seconds).



The first 10 sets were traditional Max 15:15. 7/7, or 8/8, whichever your current skill level is at. Mine is at 8/8 but I didn't warm up my snatch so I did my first 2 sets 7/7 (pictured to the right of the white board) followed by 8 more sets of 8/8 to equal 10 sets total (4 each L & R).

Here's the bulk of the workout using a snatch pacing technique. (pictured to the right of the photo above) All single snatches were done w/12kg, all dbl snatches were done w/two 10kg's.






8/5 R, rest, 8/5 L, rest, 10 dbl sn, rest
8/6 R, rest, 8/6 L, rest, 10 dbl sn, rest
8/7 R, rest, 8/7 L, rest, 10 dbl sn, rest
8/8 R, rest, 8/8 L, rest, 10 dbl sn, rest
x 3 rotations



Here's the work / rest breakdown:

8 snatches in the first 15 seconds
5 snatches in the next 15 seconds, for a total of a 30 sec work period,
rest 30 seconds (equal work/rest), repeat on the other side

10 dbl sn, 30 sec., rest 30 sec (again equal work/rest),


repeat laddering up the # of snatch reps in the 2nd half of the snatch work sets...get it?



All of this work was in preparation to snatch for 1 minute sets, without a hand switch, using this method of pacing. By the time we got around to these 1 minute sets we had already been snatching for 40+ minutes! This is only an hour long workout....so we only had time to complete one set of the minute long snatch pace sets.....but you'll see, in the video, how it actually turned out for me!



Last two sets.....15:15:15:15



8/8/5/5 R snatch do not switch hands, rest 30 seconds and repeat on the other hand (L).

The video starts with 8/7 and ends with my attempt at the last two minute long snatch pacing sets....."attempt" is the key word here, lol!



I adjusted my sock sleeve, knowing while I was doing it, that it had the potential to really screw up my grip.....it did! Stupid! I hate failing. I couldn't hang on to the bell with the added bulk of the thicker hand protection and so I had to put the bell down.

Now what? I went ahead and worked my left side, and then without resting I worked my right side, barely hanging on to the bell....seriously....I could have dropped it anywhere in the last 5 reps......



This blogpost is probably too confusing, but what can I say? I'm a long story teller!

I rarely do a Max based workout that has "equal work/rest" intervals these days, but working with my jetlag it was a nice way to ease back into my routine. My regulars had a bit of time off, working with a substitute, but I'm back and I've got some new plans.....more to come.....



My brilliant husband, Master Instructor Mark Reifkind, writes about pacing the snatch. Fast or slow....it's all good! (We should write a newsletter, huh?)


"The Snatch is a great exercise, the 'Tsar of the Kettlebell lifts' according to Pavel and I agree. And, with the popularity of Max Vo2 training fast snatching or overspeed work has really gained ground. But, there is just as much benefit from snatching slowly, with a set pace where you have to 'rest in the overhead position' as there is from sprint snatching.


With Max Vo2 training one can really increase one's cardiovascular ability, de- inhibit their form on the snatch and really 'find' their groove.But it also has the capacity to allow for shorted snatches, poor lockout position and and a deficit of static strength in the overhead position.


Snatching more slowly, with an emphasis on the lockout and hold position, allows one to focus on both a steady paced snatch workout and the static strength, and rotator cuff stability of holding a weight overhead for prolonged periods.


All one has to do is look at GS sport competitors and their ability to do hundred of reps on one arm to see the benefit of snatching more slowly with solid holds overhead.


So, using both sprinting and paced type workouts have serious benefits for the kettlebell athlete that wants the best of both worlds and serious muscle development to boot!"

No comments: