Monday, May 23, 2011

A Hungry Day



Every so often, maybe every 3-4 weeks I have what I call "a hungry day"! I just can't seem to eat enough at one meal. It doesn't go on all day, but usually it's my first meal of the day, around 12-2pm. Today was that day!

I stayed home to finish some writing this morning and I got hungry around 8:30-9:00am. What? I'm never hungry early so I knew it was going to be a challenge to make it to a 12 noon Bikram class without eating anything at all, so I ate a handful of frozen almonds. Later on my way to yoga around 11:15 I ate an apple....that was OK. As my practice was coming to an end all I kept thinking about was that it would take me 12 minutes to drive home (yep, twelve exactly) and what I was going to eat when I got here.

I knew I had on serving of stew in the fridge, lentil chicken, but Mark and I sent the day visiting or granddaughter Sophi yesterday and I didn't get any food prep done. I flew in the back door and threw the stew in the mic, sliced up some grilled lamb to munch on while it was heating.... Finished that and I was still hungry! Argh! All I had now was frozen soups and stews. I took one out threw it in the mic, set the timer and sat down to read a mailorder catalog....beep. beep, beep.... Ham, sausage and bean soup....gone. Still hungry!

Funny thing is I never crave junk on a hungry day, just more food! I moved on to peanut butter, dried cranberries and celery/carrot sticks, one of my absolute favorite snacky snacks. OK, the dried cranberries were because I'm not buying as many raisins or prunes these day, but it as close as I was going to get.

I measured out 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and 1/4 dried fruit.... Of course I can eat as much as I want, but I find when I measure out a serving at a time at least I have some sort of "marker" to let me know when I'm eating more. Speaking of more....1 more tablespoon of peanut butter and a small handful fo cranberries and finally! Tummy full! Good-ness!

Took a nap. Woke up, went for my walk, had a glass of wine and not another thing to eat. Maybe I should call it "a hungry half day?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tracy, I've been having the same type of issues. Only I am hungry all the time lately it seems. I've been increasing the intensity of my kettlebell workouts - adding in the speed swings and am finding myself ravenous afterwards!

I was following the Warrior Diet but since cutting dairy out of my diet(it was making me sick) I've moved over the Paleo Diet and sort of mix the two ways of eating. I'm trying to watch my calories and make sure I get enough protein.

My husband doesn't get home from work until 7-8pm most nights so we eat supper usually as soon as he gets home and don't go to bed till midnight every night. So by bedtime, I am so freaking starving! But this is where discipline and mind over matter has to kick in, right? :D
-Tracy

Tracy Reifkind said...

Tracy,

I used to fight feeling "ravenous", but the truth is that I can only eat so much at one sitting, and since I'm never hungry for junk foods I usually only eat around 700-800 calories of really nutritious foods. And then that's that...usually!

As far as discipline andd mind over matter....I pick the mind over matter.

I've only eaten past 6:00 one day in the past 3 weeks, and when I find myself getting bored around 8:15 I remind myself that I'm literally 15-20 minutes from being asleep! And to get on with falling asleep instead. What a great way to wake up the next moring!