Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"Crazy is, as Crazy Does"


What does this phrase mean?

The meaning is hard to explain, but it's basically asking the question, "what is crazy really?" Being crazy is relative. Pretty much, crazy is in the eye of the beholder. An action or thought is "crazy" based on the rationale behind it and the perception of it.

On my walk this morning I was thinking about my "movement towards minimalism". I'm visualizing how empty my house is going be as I mentally pack boxes of stuff to give away. I then thought about moving to a new high rise condo! These thoughts reminded me of my sister Christie. My sister has moved residences so many times I've lost count. She wasn't always this way, I mean she has lived in a few places for a good amount of time, so I'm not trying to make her sound crazy or anything.

At one time I had an address book and under her name were numerous phone numbers, one after the other crossed out as she changed living situations. But I didn't give it too much thought, we were young...young kids move around. She eventually settled down...a couple of times, but recently I heard from another sister that she is in yet another new place, and I remember thinking to myself that she must be a little crazy, she moved again? (in Chris's defense my mother told me her last roommate was really weird, and impossible to live with)

Moving is a pain in the ass....if you are like me! If you are like Christie then it's a piece of cake! Christie doesn't own a bunch of crap, in fact I'll bet she gets rid of stuff on a regular basis, or simply never collects it.

When we were growing up she was "the neat one", the organized one, or at least that's how I saw her. Her bed always made, her clothes neatly put away, her homework always done. But it's more than being just "neat". When Chris and I were teenagers our mother gave the both of us our own shopping money for back to school clothes, and it wasn't much...seriously I think back in those days it may have been $40 bucks, if even that. One year Chris spent, what I thought was a huge amount of her allowance on ONE blouse! One blouse! That one blouse costs the same as maybe three blouses or two pairs of pants....I thought that was just crazy! Chris wore the heck out of that blouse! She wore it every week, maybe twice a week, maybe everyday! She loved that blouse. At the time I couldn't understand how she could pick only one item to own over three....ahead of her time?

It never occured to me that my "crazy" sister isn't crazy at all, in fact now I'm jealous. Christie can pick up and move anytime she wants to, who's to say that's a bad thing! Or a crazy thing? I want to crazy like that, and I will. Maybe I should give her a call....at the very least to apologize for being "judgey" all these years....I have seen the light...the crazy light!

Disclaimer: I think the world of my sister Christie, and all of my sisters. I use the word "crazy" as a term of endearment....as I'm sure she does, when describing me! (love ya Chris!)

2 comments:

Maribel said...

Small Space living is really big right now...check out this tiny apartment in Tokyo.

http://technabob.com/blog/2010/11/17/tiny-tokyo-house-is-built-in-a-parking-space/

When my husband and I first moved in together, I HAD to move every year or so. I figured out it was my way of "cleansing". I'm a minimalist and he's a pack rat and when we moved we started fresh again. I threw out a bunch of stuff every time.

Owning a house and having to stay put has been great, but harder to keep stuff under control. For me, clutter and stuff around me creates a lot of stress and tension. It makes me completely batty.

I always "fantasize" about living in an apartment with 1 spoon, 1 cup, 1 plate, 1 fork...etc.

Crazy/Smart Cookie runs in your family, I see ;)

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

I'm going to make my fantasy a reality....and wait until you see my garage, lol You are really going to think I'm crazy if I can get that cleared out!