Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cook and Do Food Prep When You Are Not Hungry!

It's no secret that I'm a big time "meal planner".  I love to cook, and I love food prep, it's my form of meditation.  But I can't meditate when I'm hungry!

In my last blog post I talk about eating when you are not hungry...mostly out of boredom as food has become a form of entertainment in this culture.  Maybe I have deep overeating food "triggers", or habits that still present a bit of "charge" behind them.  I only say that because I know there are plenty of people in this world that have no "charge", or "triggers" to eat more than they need to...I want to be one of those people!  I know they exist!  I live with one, and have a best friend that is one....

Anyway....  One of the ways I skip over walking into these "triggers" is to cook and do meal prep when I'm the least hungry.  For me that works out to be first thing in the morning, usually right after I get up at 4:00am.  My first obligation, when I'm not teaching, is at the earliest, 7:00am, and most times not until 8:00am, so I can get a ton done before I leave the house in the morning, making things perfect for when I get home around 12-1:00. Lunch is ready, dinner too!  I also have the most amount of energy first thing in the morning....talk about multi tasking!  I can have all three pressure cookers going at once!

The next best time for me to cook is after I eat!  After lunch it's common for me to start dinner, at least the prep for it.  But then dinner comes around and lots of times I'll find myself heating up something already made, skip cooking but organize prep ingredients for first thing the next morning.

That's what I did today.  I had planned on roasting a chicken and making some liver pate this morning, but no time....  I knew I could do it when I got home, but I was hungry!  I ate lunch and I knew if I roasted that chicken I'd end up eating half of it right out of the oven!  Crispy chicken skin is hard, hard, hard to resist....but not at 6:00 in the morning!

It will be fine for the morning.  In addition to roasting the chicken, making the pate I'll also throw some 6 grain rice in the PC to eat with my peanut butter and all will be well again.

Know what may trigger you and "don't go there"!  Lots of times I say, "If you buy it you'll eat it!"  I know that about myself!  "Triggers" may just be old habits that still have some unconscious "charge" behind them.  I'm not worried that I can't change, I know I can change because I want to, and I am changing, in fact I've already made so many positive permanent changes!  Choosing how I want to live my life, and creating new habits is exciting!

In the mean time I'll cook and do my food prep when I'm not hungry, and I won't buy any foods I don't want to eat.  That works for me, and that's fine.

PS  If you do not make most of your meals I still believe it's best to plan and arrange to purchase your breakfast/lunch/dinner when you are not yet hungry.  You order less, you buy less, and therefore you just might eat less!


8 comments:

Diana said...

The minute I wake up in the morning, I must eat-then is when I love to do my cooking, right after breakfast!

"If you don't buy it, you won't eat it" is so true, however, for me quitting my dt dew addiction...I went 6 weeks then bought one. I got so pissed that I bought it, that I let it just sit there. I starred at it everyday and told it; "you won't win this battle, I'm in charge"....that helped me over my hump and as of today it's now been 10 weeks since I've had a diet dew! Sometimes starring our "tempters" right in the eye is a sweet boost to our inner self as well.....just saying! :)

Merry Christmas Tracy and Mark!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

Funny...when I get up from my afternoon nap I make a bee line for the kitchen! I may eat my dinner as early as 4:00pm!

Congrats on the Dt Dew, I know that's been something you have wanted to change for a long time.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Blogger Hanneke said...

My 2 biggest eating triggers are:
1. watching tv (that's why I don't)
2. long drives, road trips etc. I plan my food during that. Just bring a lot of good eatens so that I won't succumb to crap

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

Ah...trips! For some crazy reason "going" is never a problem...it's coming home when the all Hell breaks loose!

Maribel said...

My trigger is work. I get so consumed at work that I don't notice when I've eaten those 5 cookies my co-worker just brought over as my xmas goodie. I hate to be insensitive, but yesterday I re-gifted 3 boxes!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

You are only being insensitive because I didn't get one! Kidding.

Work has got to be one of the biggest booby traps for most people because it's all innocent enough. No one means any harm, but enough already! Buy me a cup of coffee and keep the cookies!

Tracy Reifkind said...

unless they are homemade...then I'm allowed!