Saturday, January 7, 2012

What is Stopping you? "Eat In" part...?

My opinions in these past blog posts about how strongly I feel the importance of eating foods and meals made at home to help one lose weight are in no way meant to come across as the only way.  Eating in was important to me, and as it happened, I believe, I'm convinced, turned out to be one of the key changes I made to a lasting and, now I know, permanent, weightloss.  If part of how you found yourself overweight is through eating out regularly then I simply ask you to take into consideration the benefits this kind of change could make in your life.

One might think that the only obvious benefit to making meals and foods from scratch, with "real" ingredients, is that you aren't consuming "fake" foods, preservatives you don't need, chemicals used to extend shelf life (not your life!), food coloring, etc.  And yes, those certainly are some of the health benefits, and part of good health is being a "healthy body weight".  Some other reasons are that when we "eat out", we tend to eat more because we are served bigger portions.  Many times we wait too long to figure out what we are going to buy for lunch that we try and stave off hunger with sweets....and then we order too much food because we're "starved"!  We eat foods we wouldn't normally eat just because it's offered...how many times have you ordered a dessert, even when you weren't hungry for it just because "oh, I love lemon meringue pie...look, it's on the menu!  Or you are with a friend who isn't concerned about their own health encouraging you to order an appetizer or dessert, or at least share one, or two, with them.

Of course you can still find yourself overweight if the foods you are "eating in" are fast, convenient foods.  You don't have to "go out" for a bag of cookies, a box of cereal, a loaf of french bread, cheese puffs or a quart of ice cream.  Those things you can find in your own kitchen and pantry.  A combination of the kinds of foods you are eating, and your eating habits determine what is making and/or keeping you fat, or fatter than you say you want to be.

Now we can pretty much agree that making your own meals from scratch at home has many positive benefits, and in the past few blog posts I've given you more reasons. I've given you some ideas of how and where to start based on my own experience as a non-cook for most of my adult life (my fat adult life), what's holding you back?  Reason and knowledge have been addressed. What's stopping you from moving in this direction?

Time?  Energy? Willingness/motivation?  I will get to these next....maybe I'll write about the willingness and motivation first.  At this point if you still are questioning whether or not it's worth the time and energy I'll assume you need a little more motivation than what I've provided so far......



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you last few blog posts. It is what I "preach" all the time. Obviously I live by it too. I found out though that most people don't want to listen to it. They rather listen to some crazy quick fix advertisement. I think the most difficult thing for most human beings is a change of lifestyle, whether it is food or something else. People really want to stick to what they are used to. Most people hate or fear change.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

You bring up some interesting thoughts about fear of change, or maybe stuck in a routine is another way of putting it....the key is to change the routine! Once you change it (lifestyle), it's the same...a healthy routine is still a routine!

I do agree that people are still clinging to the hopes of something that "seems" easier, a quick fix.

Maribel said...

I couldn't agree more with Hanneke. And being one of those people always looking for the "quick fix" I understand the resistance. I think these "quick fixes" add to the problem because people feel they will forever have to be on a grapefruit and egg diet (which one was that?). When you say "lifetime change" that's what they think...at least that's what I thought.

When I accepted that I could still eat my burger (lean meat, packed with veggies, forego the bread or use those super skinny buns) a new universe opened up.

You can only get something THAT good at home!

Guy Spears said...

Once again...BAM! Nail right on the head BossLady. My Mother taught me how to cook when I was in High School, and I'm glad she did. I remember when I asked Mom "Why do I have to learn to cook?" She said "So you won't marry the first girl who makes you a sandwhich!" I Esp appreciate the point you made about processed foods, they are killing America! I would outlaw fast food if I could.

Unknown said...

By the way I think that time and willingness are very much related. I have found out that eating at home can cost you more time but it does not have to be that way. Buying fresh produce and other groceries can actually be more time consuming then preparing it. I think that a lot of people just think that it is going to take too much time.

Planning your meals for the week (kinda) and do your groceries all at ones can help. Planning is very important especially if cooking at home is not a habit yet. If you leave it up to the last minute you know what's going to happen!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

If you don't plan to succeed, you plan to fail!

Planning ahead is key for sure and the subject of a blog post I've been planning on writing.

About "time" and "willingness". I think the willingness is connected to the prep and clean up personally. Fast and convenient foods usually come with disposable packaging, even plastic forks, spoons and knives!