Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Turnip "Crusted" Collard and Bacon Quitatta


Wow!  On my facebook fan page I posted the question of what to do with some turnips I got in my CSA box.....who knew so many people cook and eat turnips!  Seriously I have never once had anyone tell me "Oh yes, we had turnips last night."  Or "I brought leftover turnips for lunch"!






I got a ton of great cooking ideas for my turnips, and I'm actually excited to try them out this weekend, but I had one bunch of collard greens that never made it into soup this past week, so armed with some bacon I thought with the combination I could kill 2 birds with one quitatta! Since I've been in "Quitatta" mode I went ahead and used 3 of my 5 turnips as a "crust" for my last dish this morning by simple slicing them thinly on a mandoline and layering them on the bottom of my dish like scalloped potatoes.






Saute 4 oz bacon (600) in hot skillet, when crisp move to the side pour off all but 1 tbl fat and add
one bunch sliced scallions, or spring onions (white part) 2 min, add 1 bunch collard greens, sliced into thin strips and then cut across.  Saute until wilted, season with salt (and pepper), turn off heat and add the green part of scallions, thinly sliced.

Lightly (!) grease the bottom of your dish with bacon dripping (nice way of saying fat!) and layer 3 med turnips sliced thin on a mandoline on the bottom.

5-6 eggs (420) (beat lightly, optional), add
2 tbl cream (100)
2 tbl whole milk (20)
1/4 c grated parmesan cheese (85)

add egg mixture to veg and bacon saute.  pour into turnip lined dish bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes until center is set and no longer wet or runny.  Personally I turn the oven off at 30 minutes and let it stay in the warm oven for about 10 minutes longer.

1265 calories of non veg ingredients

I can't say that I could really taste "turnip", although I'm not sure what that tastes like!  It's going to be a root vegetable kind of weekend though!  Can't wait!

4 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

all i can say is that is one yummy quittata! I didn't know they were turnips on the bottom, thought it was a regular crust!

more please :))

Unknown said...

Turnips are yummy. You can grate them too and then stir in with the rest of the veggies. I actually love that, kind of like hash browns but then different.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

Apparently the turnip has quite a few fans! I really liked the layer at the bottom...I'll for sure do it again.

Maribel said...

OMG...that looks delish! I'm so hopping on that quitatta bandwagon.