Thursday, April 5, 2012

"5/5" (five and five) One Hand Swing workout....and "5/5" snatch workout too!

In this workout there is only one, 1 minute work set (40 reps), two, 45 second work sets (30 reps) and three, 30 sec worksets (20 reps).  The rest of the entire workout is only 10 reps at a time, done with one hand 5 R, 5 L ("5/5")  It is written as an "equal work/rest" ratio, but if you need less rest then adjust to fit your level of conditioning and endurance.
 
Worksets


5/5 x 4 (work for 15 sec, rest for 15 sec)
5/5, 5/5 x 1 (or 10/10), 30/30 work/rest
5/5, 5/5, 5/5 x 1 (or 15/15) 45/45 work/rest
5/5, 5/5, 5/5, 5/5 x 1 (or 20/20) 1 min/1 min work/rest


5/5 x 3 (work for 15 sec, rest for 15 sec) (in the video I lost count and repeated this 4 times....oops!)
5/5, 5/5 x 1 (or 10/10), 30/30 work/rest
5/5, 5/5, 5/5 x 1 (or 15/15) 45/45 work/rest


5/5 x 2 (work for 15 sec, rest for 15 sec)
5/5, 5/5 x 1 (or 10/10), 30/30 work/rest

5/5 x 1

13 min., 260 swings

I explain throughout the video the two versions for one hand swing rep count options in the longer work sets.  For my own workout I chose to do more one hand swings before a hand switch, but if you have been training for less than a few months I suggest switching R/L every 5th rep count.  I demonstrate my own version, while I "coach" you through the first progression, which is 5 reps at a time.

Repeat the workout for a 25 min, 520 swing routine!



"5/5" Snatch workout



This workout is done with the same concept.  4 sets of 5/5 and then one set of 40, 3 sets, one set of 30, 2 sets, one set of 20, and then one last set of 5/5.  Same as the swing routine I demonstrate the more difficult version while verbally coaching you through the less advanced option.....both are difficult!  40 snatches may be the most you have ever snatched without rest (2 min), so however you chose to do them is in itself an advanced work set!

Worksets

5/5 x 4 sets (30 sec work/30 sec rest)
5/5 x 4 (40 reps, 2 min continuous set, 1 min rest)
5/5 x 3 sets (30 sec work/30 sec rest)
5/5 x 3 (30 reps, 1.5 min work/1 min rest)
5/5 x 2 sets (30/30)
5/5 x 2 (20 reps, 1 min work/1 min rest)
5/5 x 1 (30/30)

You'll notice that while most of this routine is equal work to rest the longer sets only suggest a 1 min rest. Always take the rest you need!

FYI  The slow pace of 5 snatch rep per 15 second requires a 1 second "hold" at the top of the movement making it in actuality more advanced than 6 rep pace!  With 6 or more reps (faster) because there is no hold it requires less strength endurance....don't believe me?  More workouts to come when you can do your own comparison!  In the mean time, although 5/5 may seem slow, you will be building up the kind of strength (and shape) that you can't when you snatch faster.



5 comments:

guy said...

Great post Ma'am. What is the reason behind doing more one-hand swings lately, is it the motivation to get more work in a set due to the fact that the 1 hand swing requires 50% more energy than the 2 hand sw (qouting pave..l hopefuly not misqouting), or some other reason? Definitely doing this routine 2nite! Thanks again.

Mark Reifkind said...

Guy,

I think I mentioned in a recent video that my one hand swing training has been lacking, in favor of two hand swings! One reason for the switch is for balance, the other is pure vanity! It seems as if my midsection is just too thick! All those heavy two hand swings are just one part contributing to it...Grape Nuts may have something to do with the other!

It's all about cycling anyway.

Unknown said...

The paced snatch workouts are my favorite!! I really love that.
Thanks!!

Nadine said...

This was fun! I like the slower snatch pace - I feel good about my form and I have a "natural" hold at the top anyway - plus I can use a heavier weight! :) And you know I am not a fan of 2 hd swings, so this was fun, fun fun! I used the 16kg and took :15 rests throughout.

thx!

Also, I think your book signing was yesterday - I hope all went well- your hand isn't too sore from signing to swing :) and you brought the house down!

Hanelle said...

Awesome workout! Two questions, though: 1) do heavy 2-hand swings really contribute to a thicker midsection? 2) What is the difference in training effect between switching after every 5 in the 40 snatch set, or only after every 20 (like you did in the video)? When I started KB training snatches scared the heebie jeebies out of me - now they're my favourite move!!