Thursday, April 26, 2012

Swing Routine, "Burning the Candle at Both Ends" (BCBE)

Here is an abbreviated version of "Burning the Candle at Both Ends" Swing routine.  I decided to post a shorter version because I wanted to make it more accessible for everybody.  It's a great routine that done once through equals 240 swings in under 12 minutes, plenty of training for sure!

The first rotation uses three "ten rep" swing combinations in an uphill and down hill progressive ladder.  Two hand swings, five one hand swing (R and L, 5/5), and 10 one hand swings (R and L), Three sets up and three sets down.  I chose these three because the less you transfer hands (switch hands) the less confusing it is and the more one hand swing practice you get while training it.  I give another option of using my "1/2 swing ladder" in the second rotation,(and follow the downhill version closely, there's a surprise!) but any 10 rep swing combination will work.  I only suggest to keeping the first/last sets using the 2 hand swing, and the two middle sets 10 R, 10 L, one hand swings.

The reason for the name is because you start with 6 sets of 10 with rest in between.  Each rotation afterwards joins more of the first sets in the beginning, and the last sets at the end until you reach one continuous set of 60 reps.  The "super advanced" version has 10 sets of ten and ends with one set of 100 reps!  I will post that one over the weekend.  It's the same workout I did with Linda Mertens group in Plymouth MN two weeks ago.




BCBE
1st rotation (all sets are done "equal work to rest)

10 2 hd swing (15/15), 
5/5 one hd sw (15/15)
10 R one hd sw (15/15)
10 L one hd sw (15/15)
5/5 one hand sw (15/15)
10 2 hd sw (15/15)


If you are not yet at the level of equal work to rest intervals, then repeat only this first rotation, taking the rest between sets that you need until your conditioning, skill and strength allow you to move forward.


10 2 hd swing + 5/5 one hd sw (20 reps, 30/30)
10 R one hd sw (15/15)
10 L one hd sw (15/15)
5/5 one hand sw + 10 2 hd sw (20 reps, 30/30)


10 2 hd swing + 5/5 one hd sw + 10 R one hd sw (30 reps, 45/45)
10 L one hd sw + 5/5 one hand sw + 10 2 hd sw (30 reps, 45/45)


10 2 hd swing + 5/5 one hd sw + 10 R one hd sw + 10 L one hd sw + 5/5 one hand sw + 10 2 hd sw (60 reps, 1.5/1.5)


12 min, 240 swings





2nd rotation (every rest period is only 15 sec)

10 2 hd swing (15/15),
51/2 sw ld (15/15)
10 R one hd sw (15/15)
10 L one hd sw (15/15)
2/1 sw ld (15/15)
10 2 hd sw (15/15)


10 2 hd swing + 1/2 sw ld (30/15)
10 R one hd sw (15/15)
10 L one hd sw (15/15)
2/1 sw ld sw + 10 2 hd sw (30/15)



10 2 hd swing + 1/2 sw ld + 10 R one hd sw (45/15)
10 L one hd sw + 2/1 sw ld + 10 2 hd sw (45/15)



10 2 hd swing + 1/2 sw ld + 10 R one hd sw + 10 L one hd sw + 2/1 sw ld + 10 2 hd sw (1 min 30 sec)


9 min, 240 swings


Enjoy, and have a great weekend!










17 comments:

guy said...

I'm off work tommorrow, so, I did the 1st rotation 3 times tonight. Woooeee! It's killer, BossLady! Thanks alot, by the by do you have any lentil soup receipes? Thanks again.

The Pink Artspot said...

I cannot wait to do this one! Thank you, as always!!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Guy,

This is indeed a really good routine! But since you are used to 2.0 you'll really like the next one too!

Lentil soup.... I routinely replace beans or rice with lentils in many other recipes. Also I really like pot roast done with lentils instead of potatoes. Ther are so many varieties of lentils available, but my favorites are the smaller french green lentils and the plain old brown lentils you can get at practically every market.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jen,

Have fun!

guy said...

I use the French lentils too, I like them better. Tonight was my free eating 2 hour window, I was really suprised at how full I got, and how quickly! I made the salsa from your receipe, from "The Swing.", I took some to work and shared. It went like hotcakes! When I was asked for the receipe for the salsa, I said buy a copy of "The Swing". :)

Tracy Reifkind said...

Guy,

So we are both on a low calorie day today, right? lol

I've never done a side by side taste test with lentils, I've done it with beans. I made bean purees one time just for that reason, I should do it with lentils too!

Although I really like lentils they are not as satisfying to me and I find myself eating bigger portions. So I don't make them as often as I used to.

guy said...

What is your lo cal day going to be like today? I planned for soup and salad for today. Homemade soup not canned b/c that is chok full of sodium lol.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Guy,

Apples are always a big part of my lo cal day. I bought two large ones at the FM this morning. I'm off to visit my granddaughter and when I get home I've got some beatiful tiger prawns I picked up from the Japanese market yesterday that I'll grill along with the pink chard I never got to yesterday! Plenty of iced tea and water today, the weather is crazy nice!

guy said...

Fuji apples are my fav, but I got a bag of gala apples on sale (my wife manages a Savalot grocery store). Your salad ideas in "The Swing are great by the way.

Debbie said...

Watched both workouts all the way through! Wow....great short workouts. Can't wait to try them! I also have a question. I read often that you have to switch things up in order to keep your body guessing and for progress. Are swings alone enough as long as you change up the routines? Thank you, again. As the kids would say, You're the bomb!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Debbie,

Your question about "swings alone" is one I get asked all the time. There are so many variables using the swing...

rep count
weight of bell/double bells
two hand swings
right/left one hand swing
two hand to one hand
single rep (power swings)
speed/cadence
cobination of any two, three, four, all of the above...

Does that address the concern and answer your question about "swings alone"?

you could take these two "short workouts" and change them 100 different ways....let your body try and keep up!

Debbie said...

That was my thinking too! Just wanted to double check with you. Thanx again and have a great week.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Debbie,

It isn't about keeping your body "guessing" so much as it is "adapting" to certain workloads.

And yes my workouts are all based on one movement, the swing. But I don't do the same workout. I do the same movement, but not the same workout!

While looking for the "perfect" workout or exercise many people want proof that it's perfect, or that it will work before they invest time and energy...kind of silly when you think about it! Because in the mean time they use it as an excuse to not do anything! Or to try it once or twice and the say, "see, I told you it didn't work!"

I say fine then, don't do anything and see how far that gets you! And I'm NOT talking about you specifically, so please don't take that comment personally. I'm talking generally, I'm speaking overall because you may find yourself getting the same questions from your friends if you start this "new" thing called kettlebells, lol!

Thank you for your comment and your question.

guy said...

Ma'am, I have an idea for a 1 handed pwr sw routine, based off the one you posted. Is there anything I should know about the one hand pwr sw beforehand?

Tracy Reifkind said...

Guy,

only that, like the one hand swing in general, it fires up 50% more lat activation to help stabilize the weight of the bell, which requires one to already be proficient with the one hand swing. In other words, it's not a drill for "learning" the one hand swing with a heavy weight, where the two hand swing power swing can help a beginner sit into and load their hips more.

The reason why I haven't posted one hand power swings (and power snatches for that matter) is because it's an advanced training technique. Mark says one needs to be proficient at one hand swings with a bell one size larger than "snatch test" bell, which would be a 28kg for a male and a 20kg for female (snatch). One must really need to know how to "stay connected", shoulder in the socket to perform them safely, and not let the bell twist them on the descent. One must already have built stability through practice and training regular one hand swings.

Debbie said...

Tracy,
Thank you again for your additional comment. I totally agree with you on that. I personally love kettlebells and especially the swing. Nothing will get in my way....:) I don't care what others think or do! I am almost 62 and in better shape than many decades younger! (not to sound like I'm bragging,cause I put a lot of effort into being fit and healthy)People like you help to keep me motivated and not alone. Again.......thank you

The Pink Artspot said...

Finally had a chance to do this one (was recovering from bronchitis, so I had to wait..and wait..and wait.) - I seriously LOVE this routine!!! Another great way to move into the 1.5 min range and reduce rest periods, almost effortlessly!
Also I was just starting to move into sets that were more than a minute, reduce my rest periods/work into rest before the stupid bronchitis, happy to say that I still feel pretty good and ready to keep doing that - had no problem with it here, which was exciting - super yay!
(I so need to come down and train with you....)
Thanks again!