Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Key" demo swing workout


I hadn't planned on producing a video to post, only to record, so I apologize for the low volume.  Once I started taping I realized it might be a good opportunity to expand on a comment left for me a few posts ago about providing a "key" to the shorthand I use to journal my workouts, AND give you a nice little swing workout at the same time!

My reply was that I have never officially supplied one here on my blog because over the last 6 years it was never my intent for anybody else to follow my workouts exactly.  The original intent was to journal my own personal workouts for my own records.  Over the years, if you have followed along, I think a lot of my shorthand is obvious for the swing routines, and I have posted many many accompanying video along the way explaining my written journals.

Also in "The Swing" I use a very similar "key".  The only addition is that I added a "+" ( a plus sign) when combining swing combinations to each other.  For instance I used to write a swing combination like this;

10 2 hd sw, 10 tr, 5/5 x 1 set

now I write it;

10 2 hd sw + 10 tr + 5/5 x 1 set

Here are the most obvious translations

2 hd sw = two hand swing
tr = transfer swings
1 sw/1 tr = 1 swing, 1 transfer swing
5/5 = 5 one hand swings R, 5 one hand swings left, transferring ON the 5th reps
10/10 = 10 one hand sw R, 10 one hand sw L, transferring ON the 10th rep

"x" = repeat
"x 1" = 1 set or one combination of sets
"x 2" = repeat twice
"x 4" = repeat 4 times

interval timing is always in parenthesis ( )

(15/15) = 15 sec work, 15 sec rest interval
(30/30) = 30 sec work to rest interval
(1 min/1 min) = 1 min work to rest interval
(30/15) = 30 sec work to 15 sec rest = 2 to 1 work to rest interval, etc...

the only exception to the above times is "OTM" type of intervals

"OTM" = on the minute.  You start every new set at the beginning of a one minute interval. That translates into your work AND rest within the 1 minute.

These next two variations I consider more advanced interval training, and I've only introduced them in the last two years as I developed the technique of training 5 reps at a time just last year.

"on the 30 seconds" = start each new set every 30 seconds, which includes your rest also.
"on the 15 seconds" = is used exclusively for 5 rep sets as demonstrated in this workout.

I hope some of this helps.  Now here's the workout!

"Key" demo swing video workout

10 2 hd sw x 4 sets (15/15)
5 2 hd sw x 8 sets (on the 15 sec)
5/5 x 4 sets (15/15)
1 sw, 1 tr x 10 x 2 sets (30/30)
10 tr x 4 sets (15/15)

I take some extra rest here to explain what's next, but you don't have to!

10 2 hd sw + 5/5 + 1 sw/tr x 10 (1 min/1 min)

5/5 + 1 sw/tr x 10 + 10 tr (1 min/1 min)

1 sw/tr x 10 + 10 tr + 10 2 hd sw (1 min/1 min)

320 reps w/12kg, 15 min approx


If you are interested in some of my other shorthand for my other non swing workouts, it's best to ask via comment on this blog.  There are quite a few kettlebell movements that don't have "standard" shorthand and I'll try and use abbreviations obvious to the movement.  But if you don't know the movement to begin with then no abbreviation will be obvious!  Just ask!  Thanks!

3 comments:

Kelley Riebel said...

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Kelley,

Sure, no prob!

Tracy Reifkind said...
This comment has been removed by the author.