Friday, January 11, 2013

Get "Skinny"


Let's get right down to it, shall we? We all want to lose weight and look great. Food, cooking, training? So what. Those are all bonuses...or so we think at first. Skinny solves everything, so let's get skinny! 



I'm going to be in San Diego next Saturda (1/19) at Franz and Yoana Snideman's Revolution Fitness in La Jolla demonstrating, teaching and talking about how I did it, and how the kettelbell swing can help you and/or your clients. Time is running out....to sign up and for you to look, feel and be your absolute best. Come do, hear, and see what it's all about! And, The Swing is for everybody, no one is left out, or behind!

http://www.revolutionlajolla.com/tracyreifkind.html

*********************
I just posted this on facebook to promote what The Swing is all about, for me.  I used the word, the description, "skinny" only because most people that are not skinny can relate to wanting the feeling of being "skinny".  Kate Moss, in addition to being a famous supermodel, is well known for saying "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", and I do believe that at the end of the day that may well be true for a lot of people.  I know for me many of the foods I used to think I enjoyed are no longer attractive in a way they used to be.  I can only speak for myself, and that's why I wrote "skinny solves everything", because if I had to chose between being "strong", and being skinny I'm not ashamed to say that I would lean toward skinny.

I've spent most of my life fat and it is not fun.  No part about it is fun.  I feel very fortunate to have experienced being, or more accurately feeling skinny, after spending so much of my life being over fat.  But I've also been too skinny, so I'm not talking about being, or becoming, clinically underweight.  I'm not talking about anorexia, I've had a touch of that, and it ain't pretty.  I'm talking about the feeling of being light and carefree.  Free of the weight, free of the heaviness.  Free of the chains and shackles of carrying over 100lbs of extra flesh and fat that kept me from expressing who I truly am.

I'm not going to apologize for being dramatic here.  I'm being dramatic because it's really how I feel.  It's the drama, the passion, call it what you want, but it's the same energy that came through at my first meeting with my editor at Harper One, Nancy Hancock, when she asked me why I wanted to write a book, why I wanted to have my story published.....they just don't hand out book deals!

In the past year I almost forgot what it was that I'm so moved by.  Moved to want "This" for everybody, especially for those of us that have never had it (sorry to all of you late comers!)  "This" is the joy and happiness I get from discovering my way of creating this miracle in my life.  "This" is the miracle.  The miracle of what you think being skinny is all about.  And whatever you think it's all about is here for you, it's here for every one. 

It may be training kettlebells that could be your motivation, obviously it has been mine because it so quickly changed the shape of my body fueling my motivation to not only stay the course of my new diet, but to want even more once the possibilities started showing themselves through both diet and exercise.

It could be a TRX class,  Zumba, Bodypump, Jazzercise, powerlifting, or Spinning, Crossfit, the thought of wanting to run a marathon, or whatever.  Pick one, pick them all.  Once you release the thoughts that it's too late nothing is off limits.  


Come see me.  Come swing with me.  Come talk with me.  I'll remind you again that it's not too late, in fact it's the perfect time.  Oh, and it's going to be fun!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How did you get started...and stay motivated way at the beginning..where I am..you look so awesome..I want to be you but it seems impossible!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Sandy,

I was sick of my physical situation keeping me from living the life I wanted, and being the person I knew I really was. Really, and I have often said it, I just wanted to get skinny.

I cut my calories because I knew I was eating like a pig, but what I never planned on was being so successful at learning about food and nutrition so well that I never wanted to go back to eating the way I used to.

Enter the kettlebell.... And then my body started to repair itself, I mean, again unknowingly, when I accidentally started building shape and muscle AND having fun putting swing routines together I couldn't be stopped.

It would be like someone telling you where hidden treasure was, all you had to do would be to dig it up...I think you would pick up a shovel...just sayin'!

It's not impossible. I know it's not impossible. If I could take everyone, meal by meal, workout by workout through it I would, but I can't...at least I haven't found a way yet.

Unknown said...

Thanks...I have your book..and a kettlebell...just need to use them...you are so inspiring!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Sandy,

Thank you.

I say it all the time....you need to do something! Don't think that you can do nothing because as we age past 40 especially we are only getting weaker, sicker, and fatter. And then one day we act so surprised that we are in fact, weak, sick and fat.

It's all about momentum and trend line. Start moving in the direction you want to go, just start. that may be hanging one meal, or giving one type of meal up. Restriction is usually easier for most, even I started out by giving up fast food. That's why people jump on all of these diet bandwagons....

no carbs
no fats
]no sugar
no wheat
etc.

But cutting out entire nutrients or food groups can be a bigger challenge in the long run.

Just start doing what you know you need to do. You already know.

Anonymous said...

I tried your on the minute workout , it was great . I would like to know which resource I should invest in to get more workouts and possibly put some together myself? The book , the DVD or your YouTube channel?

Unknown said...

I don't know why my name appeared this way .

Unknown said...

Lose weight fast for summer!