Monday, March 9, 2015

Transfer Swing Practice + Workout #10! And Spring Asparagus Salad

Before some of us get to workout #10 we need to practice our transfer swings (tr).  Transferring from one hand to the other straight away without touching the handle for practice first.  Here is a short 5 minute practice using combinations we already know how to do that progressively lead you straight to transfer swings.



10 2 hd sw
5 R/ 5 L
1 sw, 1 tr x 10
1 sw, 1 tr x 6 + 6 transfer swings (18 reps total)
1 sw, 1 tr x 4 + 8 tr (16 reps)
1 sw, 1 tr x 2 + 10 tr (14 reps)

88 swing reps in about 5 minutes.  Practice it as many times as you need to get comfortable with transferring the kettlebell back and forth from R to L, use it as a workout in itself, or use it as a quick warm up to any of the workouts in The Swing!  Enjoy :)

Well, well, well....here we are at workout #10!



And it's got a little tricky bit about 3/4 of the way through....  This is the first workout were you practice a set of 10 swings, get only 15 sec break before the next set of 40 reps, which means you have to swing for an entire minute before getting more rest!  This is also the first workout that uses straight "transfer swings", so if you need a little practice here's a short video:

You will find the complete written #10 workout on page 141 of The Swing book.



Morning time is my cooking and food prep time starting, pretty much, as soon as I get up around 4:00am.  Today it's super early because we lost an hour over the weekend, but I managed to fall out of bed close to my regular time and organize the kitchen before continuing on.  Not a whole lot to do actually.  I steamed some broccoli for a souffle later tonight, pressure cooked some black beans to add to some sweet potatoes for lunch, brought some carrots back to life that I never got around to using last week, and made a quick raw asparagus salad.

There are a handful on "non" ingredients that all home cooks have on hand 99% of the time, which is why I call them "non" ingredients.  Fats/dairy; cream (1/2 & 1/2 or milk) butter and Olive oil (and other cooking and salad oils) eggs, acids; lemon and vinegars, seasoning; salt/pepper, garlic, and base veggies; onions, celery, carrot, sweetners, natural and otherwise; sugar, honey, maple syrup.  There are a handful of others depending on background and culture of course, but for the most part if you cook on a regular basis you almost always have these non ingredients on hand.

That being said I only really needed two "real" ingredients for this salad; asparagus and parmesan cheese (which is also a non ingredient in my fridge). No cooking or steaming of spring fresh thin stalked asparagus so this salad goes together quickly.

1 bunch asparagus sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 small red onion, finely diced
1/4-1/2 c shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 c. red wine vinegar or lemon, or a combination of both
2-4 tbl olive oil
salt and pepper

Use the absolute best ingredients you can afford for the freshest and truest flavors.  This is a salad I spend a little extra on true Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and my highest quality olive oil and vinegar that I would never use to cook with!

I did save off about 30% of the asparagus bunch for some risotto maybe tomorrow since I have a salmon fillet in the freezer.  Is asparagus showing up in your markets yet?  And what's a "non" ingredient in your kitchen?

You can find Anne Burrell's original recipe here: http://red.food.com/recipe/anne-burrells-asparagus-pecorino-and-red-onion-salad-371862




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love workout #10. Later in the week when I have more time I'll be doing it back to back. Thanks Tracy for all you do! ~Gwen

Tracy Reifkind said...

Thanks Gwen :) I was beat after I taped it using my own kettlebell "training" weight! Usually I would use what I describe as my "marathon" weight because I tape 2-3 workouts at one go, but for some crazy reason I decided to grab the slightly heavier bell...lesson learned!

thanks for you comment :)

gmkrehbiel said...

Well, no back to back today either. This is a tough one. I used the 25 pound bell for the whole workout. I'll keep at it though. Gonna die on #11.